Growing Feathers

My children often criticize me (lovingly) for the number of times they are required to eat baked chicken in a given week.  I don't fry food for health reasons (and I hate the putrid odor it leaves behind) so baking has become the normal way I prepare meats aside from grilling when time and weather permit. It just so happens that I don't cook pork, consume very little red meat and the kids aren't fond of fish so, chicken is the natural winner.


Recently, they asked what we were having for dinner. I thought about it a minute (as if i really needed to ponder) and responded - baked chicken and vegetables. Instantly, their voices joined in song to express disapproval at my decision. "Again?" they cried out in laughter. I couldn't help but laugh myself considering we probably eat baked food 25 nights per month.


I paused to consider dinner a bit further then came up with what I thought was a brilliant idea. "How about we go to Popeye's or KFC then?" I asked, feeling proud.  My son and daughter laughed even harder at this suggestion and retorted "are you for real, we're gonna get restaurant CHICKEN?" We ordered pizza instead.


Today's Inspiration
Focus on Progress Rather than Change


At times, we may feel like a situation isn't stacked up for our benefit. When this happens, some of us are quick to seek change. We change jobs, churches, cars, addresses, even our mates. As the old adage goes, the only constant is change. Changing any aspect of life can be good - IF it's positive change.


If we decide that a change of pace is warranted, we should be careful in mapping out our new course.  If we are not careful, we may completely rearrange our lives only to find that we're in the same position as where we started or, even worse, further behind.  To ensure you don't jump from the pot to the frying pan, take a step back to determine how much really needs to change. Sometimes a minor adjustment will suffice while at other times, life calls for a complete overhaul.

For major changes, weigh options carefully and pay particular attention to factors that would likely remain constant regardless of the change.  When comparing, its common to look at all the things that are better than what we may currently have/experience (the job pays better, the car has fewer miles). By looking at all options objectively though, we equip ourselves to make educated decisions that are more likely to yield desired results.

Whether minor or major, be encouraged to make the adjustments that perpetuate growth and happiness in your life...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck between Black and Blue

Seizing Opportunity

No Other Like It