Slippery When Wet

I have a dear friend who loves to share information and recipes with me.  During one conversation in the dead of winter, they shared how, they added baby oil gel to their body while in the shower. Intrigued, I asked for more detail. As they explained it, this technique left their skin softer and more supple than any other moisturizing tactic.

I didn't doubt the sincerity of their claim, after all, it was my friend and who wouldn't be tempted by promises of butter soft skin in the dead of a harsh winter?  One day shortly after our discussion, I grabbed my baby oil gel and began applying a liberal amount from my ankles up. The hot water rinsed all excess and, just as my friend proclaimed, allowed my skin to absorb the gel much better than dry or recently moistened skin - this was heaven then...

Whoa, woops, ouch! I squirmed, squealed and almost pulled down the shower curtain reaching for safety as I slipped about the oil slick that became my shower floor.  I caught my balance with only a slight bruise to my elbow and stain to my ego.  My skin was smoother than fresh whipped cream but boy, did I pay for it!

Today's Inspiration
Apply with Caution Even Well Intended Advice

Friends always mean us well when they try to help with problems.  They want to see us happy, they want us to avoid issues they've experienced and they want us to share in the happy moments of life.  We want those things for ourselves as much as our circle of friends would willingly make them part of our reality.

In some situations, the wisdom (or supposed wisdom) imparted by friends may be just the opposite of what the doctor ordered.  Because people generally advise based on their own understanding, they are severely limited in their ability to suggest actions fitting to the situations we may experience.  Their emotions, and tolerance levels are different from our own and, most importantly, they are not subject to the outcome of our actions.  Because they have no stake in the outcome of our situations, though they would likely offer a shoulder of support, friends are not always the best source of wisdom for life's little gotchas.

When faced with circumstances that trouble our spirit, we should seek advice from those we know are spiritually grounded.  Those who can offer sound advice - even telling us where we are at fault - are invaluable resources as they can steer us in directions we otherwise might avoid.  Sometimes our greatest advisor may be someone we look up to such as a pastor or parent while, in other cases, advice may come from as unlikely a source as our children - babes have a way of making the truth plain. 

If we humble ourselves and pray about life, God usually sends us answers to our toughest queries through the strangest of sources. The next time you feel you're going through, be encouraged to turn your ears toward God's word but watch out.  The epiphany that follows can come in the strangest of forms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck between Black and Blue

Seizing Opportunity

No Other Like It